Body Contouring After Massive Weight Loss
Body contouring after massive weight loss improves the shape and tone of your underlying tissue that supports fat tissue and skin and removes the excess. Following weight reduction, through gastric bypass, lap band surgery or dieting, any substantial amount of weight loss, the skin and tissues often lack elasticity and cannot conform to the reduced body size. This result can leave a person feeling uncomfortable, with not just how they look, but also on how they feel physically. Pinching of tissue in the abdomen and breasts are very common and in those cases surgical intervention is usually a helpful option.
As a result, skin that has been severely stretched now is unsupported:
- Upper arms may sag and appear loose and full
- Breasts may flatten and hang with nipples pointed downward
- Abdominal area may extend around the sides and into the lower back area, resulting in an apron-like overhang
- Buttocks, groin and thighs can sag and cause hanging pockets of skin.
In essence, the final phase of your total weight loss experience is body contouring. The result is a more normal appearance to the body, with smoother contours.
Plastic surgery procedures that may be recommended by Dr. Sofer include:
- Lower body lift: to correct sagging of the abdomen, buttocks, groin and outer thighs
- Breast lift: to correct sagging, flattened breasts
- Arm lift: to correct sagging of the upper arms
- Thigh lift: to correct sagging of the inner, outer and mid thigh
A body lift improves the shape and tone of the underlying tissue that supports fat and skin. Excess sagging fat and skin are removed to treat conditions caused in part by poor tissue elasticity. If you desire a firmer, more youthful-looking body contour, then a surgical body lift may help achieve your goals. It improves the shape and tone of the underlying tissue that supports fat and skin. Excess sagging fat and skin are removed to treat conditions caused in part by poor tissue elasticity. In addition, the procedure(s) can improve a dimpled, irregular skin surface, commonly known as cellulite.
A body lift may include these areas:
- Abdominal area, locally or extending around the sides and into the lower back area
- Buttocks, that may be low, flat or shaped unevenly
- Groin that may sag into the inner thigh
- Thigh, including the inner, outer, or posterior thigh, or circumferential
To discuss your options, schedule a consultation with Dr. Alfred Sofer.